This is my first tag post!! Curtesy of Myriad Inklings! I wasn’t planning on doing one, but I thought this one looked easy enough.
Today’s tag is The Book Blogger Test from Brin’s Book Blog!
WHAT ARE YOUR TOP THREE BOOK PET PEEVES?
- Characters without character arcs, or character arcs like “I had anxiety and then he came along and now miraculously, would you believe it, the anxiety is gone” #doesntworklikethat.
- Romances that are just TOO sappy. I literally freeze up and go into horror-stricken page-turning until the sappiness has subsided. Just STOP it with the tattoos of your lover’s name on your arm… I’m looking at you Jamie McGuire. Also, romances that happen too fast, all of a sudden it’s been six days and they’re madly in love… YOU E.L. James. You are the victim of this.
- Characters that don’t think. I need the bubbling imagination, the second-guessing, the realistic thoughts, the self-deprecation, all of it. I need to relate (what I really mean is I need them to be as crazy as me).
DESCRIBE YOUR PERFECT READING SPOT
On the white-sand beach in Destin, FL, when it’s 75 degrees, not windy, and the sky is consumed in one, large, all-encompassing gray cloud, so the sun isn’t shining, but the clouds aren’t leaking, and I can just sit there, nothing demanding to have my attention but the book in my hands. Of course… this happens once a year.
TELL US THREE BOOK CONFESSIONS
- I think the Harry Potter books are way too fucking long.
- I only just recently started reading physical books, I was such an iPad reader and then I found the love for having the actual book in your hands once again, and well, now I’m hooked. I’ve bought eighteen books in the past two weeks and had to travel to and from Florida and California with them.
- I’ve read The Fault in Our Stars… way too many times, but only once did I read it all the way through. I will open it up and just read a single passage before I start writing my own book and it is the best fuel, better than coffee.
WHEN WAS THE LAST TIME YOU CRIED DURING A BOOK?
I have never? Yeah, I get pretty emotional, and If I Stay seriously fucked me up, but I don’t think I’ve ever cried. Though, when I was reading The Power of Now, I thought I was having a fucking Kundalini awakening (look it up) and it was terrifying. (I wasn’t)
HOW MANY BOOKS ARE ON YOUR BEDSIDE TABLE?
I have two books on my bedside table, the one I’m currently reading: Me Before You, and a decorative book by Tom Bianchi, who is this amazing gay photographer, called Fire Island Pines.
WHAT IS YOUR FAVORITE SNACK TO EAT WHILE YOU’RE READING?
I drink black tea with milk and honey, sort of hard to eat and turn pages at the same time, and I’m a control freak, if I got like a smudge on a page it would be very disheartening to me.
NAME THREE BOOKS YOU WOULD RECOMMEND TO EVERYONE
- All the Bright Places – Jennifer Niven
- I’ll Give You the Sun – Jandy Nelson
- Missoula – Jon Krakauer
SHOW US A PICTURE OF YOUR FAVORITE BOOKSHELF ON YOUR BOOKCASE
WRITE HOW MUCH BOOKS MEAN TO YOU IN JUST THREE WORDS
Fuel, dreamscape, inspiration
WHAT IS YOUR BIGGEST READING SECRET?
Hmm, I don’t really know. I feel like I don’t have one. I would say that my biggest reading secret is that I enjoy a lot of sappy, terribly written romance novels even though I’m a total hater when it comes to like relationships, but idk, I’m more into it nowadays.
Thank you for joining me for this tag today! If you are reading this, tag you’re it!